My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://furrariaussies.com/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, February 23, 2009

ASCA trial Feb 22, 2009

I ran Enzo in a one day ASCA trial on Sunday. This was after running in a Show and Go on Saturday to really work contacts. The ASCA trial had one round of Gamblers and 3 rounds of Regular AKA Standard in almost every other venue. Enzo is in Open for everything in ASCA. ASCA is not really my priority but I'm doing it since his breeders are big on ASCA. The courses are definitely a big change from AKC and USDAA.

We ran Gamblers first and even though he made up his own course in some parts of the opening we got the Gamble and a Q plus first place. The Gamble was a send to a tunnel and then teeter about 7 ft or so from the line and then a jump straight ahead of the teeter. No problem for Enzo. He also had good contacts in this run since it was the first of the day and we had just done the Show and Go.

Next was Open Regular Round 1. My brain was like one obstacle behind Enzo on this course. I was not very mentally sharp that whole day. The opening was really fast and I really needed to run hard to get the tunnel instead of the aframe but I forgot where we were going for a split second and by the time I recovered Enzo was on the aframe. Then out of the tunnel Enzo didn't know where he was going because I was behind and he stopped and barked at me. Since he jumped off the aframe I took the opportunity to train in the ring since we already NQ'd. After the aframe I forgot where we were going again for another split second. I took a half step to the right and Enzo read rear cross and shot off to the right after the jump. I can barely even see that I did that in the video but I know I did it and so did Enzo! His dogwalk contact wasn't great as he stopped short and I had to wait him out but he did eventually come down into 2on/2off.




Open Regular Round 1:





In the second round, I chickened out on the front cross before the aframe tunnel discrimination. I walked a front cross but his speed coming at me scared me so I wimped out and tried pulling instead. Normally he will take the obstacle closest to me without too much effort but since he blew off his aframe contacts at the last USDAA trial we went to we've been practicing and rewarding aframes a lot. I messed up the second aframe tunnel discrimination too. I was doing the "HB" or "hide breast" as Nancy Gyes calls it. LOL. I just brought my arm up without acutually turning my shoulders enough for the RFP. He at least stopped on his first aframe but it was a little creepy.

Open Regular Round 2:




Round 3 was a much easier course. I was relieved to see that there were no more discriminations! Enzo did jump off the aframe early and almost flipped into the tunnel on his own. I had to yell "hey!" to keep him from going into the tunnel. That's why we got the spin after the aframe. He has a tendency to do that sometimes. The Judge got in my way a little bit in that loop after the aframe but I still made it for my front cross after the tunnel. Enzo got first in this round and did it in 5.06 yds/sec and I think this run he was actually a little slower than in the other two regular rounds.

Open Regular Round 3:




Next weekend will be one day of USDAA and one day of AKC. First frisbee competition of the year will be March 21.

2 comments:

Sarah Duke said...

He looks good. I actually watched the videos on youtube before reading the blog with them, I was surprised when I saw him stopping on the frame! He had some really nice contacts in the videos. Some were "stop and stare" contacts, we are very familiar with those, Java and I. Overall though I think his contacts looked great. Another double venue weekend! Are their tournaments on Saturday?

AgileAussies said...

Thanks! He was getting a little pushy on the contacts in class today. One time he self released on the aframe as I was front crossing and other times I'd give him a treat and he'd take off as soon as he ate it. I made sure to call him back. He was driving all the way down nicely in class at least.

Yeah the GP and round 1 of STP are on Saturday. If it wasn't 85 miles away, I'd go both days to the USDAA trial.